Reply by Barbizon Modeling School

The modeling and acting industry has opportunities for all shapes and sizes and we are proud to have a diverse staff. We strive to offer a well rounded program focusing not just on modeling and acting but personal development as well and students come through our program for a number of different reasons with a number of different goals in mind. We would be happy to address your concerns directly if you would like.
Author's
7.3K views

Went to the audition Nov 26- I didn't have any doubts my daughter would be picked- she smart, confident,and beautiful- she had may compliments from the directors working there so why when you get the phone call they start out by saying "so many girls...only can take so many...only a small percent of job areas that your daughter fits into...but yours made it!!!Would that be cash or charge $2500- classes start in 3 days.

They make you think that omg I just have to pay all this money because she was picked out of all these girls. Then I thought what are they going to teach her? I'm a cosmetologist so she already knows how to do her hair and makeup-she doesn't need a confidence boost-and why couldn't she learn the photo terms from the web-she's smart. But my biggest peeve of all was the directors themselves- don't they take the classes themselves- omg- not one of them was remotely attractive and they were all overweight.

What pops into your head when you think of a model?I seriously wouldn't hire a personal trainer that was 300 pounds so why would I hire this company to represent my daughter who didn't care about the image it projects to its students?

Had an Experience with Barbizon Modeling School?

Comments

Paying over $2,000 is a bit extreme for a self-esteem builder. Yes, Barbizon offers classes to build you up and make you feel like a star. In reality, they are the winners.

Nebraska City, Nebraska, United States #810186

I am a model for Barbizon.I graduated in october and since then I've been getting phone calls about jobs in my area.

it all depends on where you are getting invited to, if its a good company. the one i went to in nebraska was very good. Barbizon is a school and ALSO a company because you can sign with them once you graduate. Becoming a model is expensive...

but once you get noticed you can get some good jobs making good money. Barbizon is not a scam its been going on for 75 years. if it was a scam they would have been shut down long ago...

I still keep in touch with my teachers(beautiful and smart!) I learned so much from this school that i wouldn't be able to learn online.DO not bash on Barbizon...

to KMA San Francisco, California, United States #814280

Becoming a model is actually not at all expensive.Real talent/modeling agencies pay you if they want you to work with them.

You shouldn't have to pay a dime.

You're probably one out of the hundreds of thousands of people who have actually taken something of value from awful and deceitful company.

Dallas, Texas, United States #808612

My daughter has an "Interview" Saturday but after reading this I think we won't go.I have had experience in the past from buying a photo shoot for my son when he was an infant to do commercials that some companies take advantage of you, get an agent and they find you jobs without you needing to pay upfront.

My daughter isn't a model and that isn't what she is really interested in.I want to see her self esteem boosted up but not at the expense of a 2500$ class I can't afford as a single mother.

to Dezzi Winder, Georgia, United States #826719

Hey Dezzi,

I went to Barbizon when I was 14 and upon graduating I had received several job offers and I had modeled in New York, Chicago, Florida, Paris, Milan and London.I have worked with Tyra Banks and Heidi Klum.

I have been in numerous print ads for Pantene, Covergirl cosmetics and have done countless commercial as well.I have done movies with Adam Sandler and Jennifer Aniston, have been in several tv shows such as Army Wives, Dallas and the 90s teen drama Beverly Hills, 90210.

My self-esteem has come back and I have come out of my shell.

to prett princess #870039

stop lying

Haltom City, Texas, United States #786268

hey i been with barbizon and i had a few job 8) 8) 8) 8) :grin :grin :grin :( :( :( :( :x :x :x :zzz :zzz :zzz :eek :eek :roll ...

It is not a scam!Maybe you got someone bad because all schools vary.

There are so many success stories out there!

Currently in classes for Barbizon and proud and excited. They tell you your in and it goes from there. You don't pay first.

Thank you so much mom.:grin 8) :p

1st of all Barbizon is NOT a talent agency:

"Barbizon is not an agency. We are a training center or a school. We do have a tuition fee for our training programs that is comparable to many extra curricular activities."-http://www.barbizonmodeling.com/index.php/barbizonreality/barbizons_a_scam#barbizons_a_scam

This in and of itself doesn't necessarily seem like a bad idea initially, and it's how they've stayed in business for as long as they have. They are not breaking any laws. They are simply preying on you and your child's gullibility and eagerness. This business is not easy, any level of success does not happen overnight. It takes years of hard work and dedication, no matter what age. Those who state they are actually working often and were signed by an agency via Barbizon are either lying (working for the company), or are the 1% for whom that actually does happen. But this is NOT the norm...trust me.

2nd, reputable agencies will NEVER approach your child in the mall or call you "out of the blue" (if someone calls, they've been given your name and contact info via a "friend" or acquaintance...guaranteed). Reputable agencies are FAR too busy to "scout". Scouts always indicate a scam.....always. Top agencies simply do not do it. "Name dropping" such as Disney or Nick are also red flags. Reputable agencies have no need to "brag" about their clients, they're far too busy sending them out on auditions and negotiating booking contracts for...

3rd, agencies do NOT require classes or "professional" head shots of your child in order to be considered for representation. Most representation comes via word of mouth in the industry, not through "showcases" which some lower level agencies may attend. Again, reputable agencies do not have the time for this.

4th, the two most legitimate ways to enter into the entertainment industry (no matter what age) are the following:

FIRST OPTION:

Step 1: Create a profile on Actors Access and Casting Networks for your child. Keep in mind these are not free, but are most definitely low cost (considering), legit, and you can cancel your account at any time. Take a few decent photos of your child, get a work permit and Coogan account, and create the profile as accurately as possible. Soon, you will begin receiving breakdowns relative to their profile. The best way to learn about the business and to be certain your child is interested is to go on as many auditions as possible. This alone is a fantastic learning tool. Begin with student films, shorts, independent projects, etc. Eventually, you will have connections which will lead you to the next step: seeking representation.

Step 2: Head shots: Initial head shots can, and should be be done very inexpensively. There are many amateur photographers who need material for their portfolios and are more than willing to cut you a deal, or even do them for free. These most likely will not be top of the line shots, but enough to get your foot in the door. Don't ever pay more than $100 at this stage. Once represented your agent will recommend photographers they prefer to work with. All agencies have their favorites, this is normal.

Step 3: Purchase the monthly book "The Right Agent". This book not only lists legitimate agencies, but also what they are currently looking for (models, actors, children, ethnic, etc.). This saves you oodles of time. Choose several agencies, and submit via mail with cover letter, head shot, and resume (which, if your child has been booking you should have by now). If you don't hear back within two months, choose several more an repeat the process. Do NOT "show up" at the agency unless specifically called in, this can blacklist your child VERY quickly. Another option for seeking representation is through industry referral. If your child has been working, you should have made at least one valuable connection along the way. :) Much of this business at one point or another depends on who you know in the industry.

Step 4: (if your child is older than 7, you may consider this step sooner) Once your child turns 6 or 7 years old you can start looking into classes. Before age 6, most industry professionals prefer children be children and not coached little monkeys. Again local, inexpensive group classes can be found, it just takes an effort and a little research. Projects such as short and independent films are much like classes and fantastic learning experiences for your child (and you).

Step 5: NEVER STOP AUDITIONING/WORKING (unless, of course, your child needs a break) :) You don't want them overwhelmed, as it is a lot of work and takes a great commitment on any level.

SECOND OPTION:

Have your child do background/extra work. This will expose them to large sets, and allows them to see how the business works without the pressure of learning lines, auditioning, etc. It's a good way to get their feet wet and see if they are really interested in the work side of the business, with very little out of pocket expense to you as the parent. There are several background companies to choose from. Once again, just be certain to research them all and make certain they are legit. All children are different, I have one who loved extra work, and one who finds it boring and pointless. ,)

THIRD OPTION:

A combination of options 1 and 2. Do know, that as a parent, initially you will be your child's manager. Paid managers come AFTER agents, and only once the child's career actually requires managing beyond your control. Don't be duped into getting a manager (many of which are also scammers) who will then take another 20% of your child's earnings. I'll admit we were sucked into this belief as well and all I learned from that manager I've shared with you in this post (she was promptly fired). A good agent is the key, all else will follow at the right time. My daughter is with a top agency, has been in the business for 6 years, and still does not require a manager. That's not to say there aren't times I feel like pulling my hair out, but to me it's still not worth the extra 20% deduction from my child's earnings.

I hope this information has helped at least one individual who has been taken advantage of by Barbizon and companies like them. It is important to note, however, that "overnight stardom" rarely, if ever happens. This industry requires dedication, long hours driving to countless auditions, and (hopefully) many hours on set...... waiting. It is not for everyone, and the best ways to find out if it is for your child is to do it by spending the least amount of $$$$ possible. Each and every booking and call back deserves recognition, no matter how small it may be. Your child will not book constantly, this is normal. Most of your time will be spent shuttling them to auditions all over town. Perseverance does pay off in the end, but it's a long (and sometimes frustrating) road. It's also important to note, no matter what others may tell you, to put off joining the union until you are FORCED to do so. Joining, not only cuts your child's options in half, the competition becomes very stiff and the pond much bigger. The goal is for them to book and enjoy working.

GOOD LUCK!

my granddaughter was called to be in Baton Rouge La. today. We went to Holiday Inn in high hopes of my Destinie my 13 year old granddaughter of making a model or something special out of her young life. Seemed as if they promised these girls a job making 80dollars an hour. The last thing they sprung on these girls is that the cost of this would be 25hundred dollars. They really made this sound great for all of these children all 200 of them. They told me that on the phone there would only be 50 girls there and only 30 would be called so far Idont trust these people.

comments