Used my child in an attempt to profit

Today, a woman stopped my child in the mall and said she had a great look and invited us to a Barbizon event. My daughter wanted to give it a shot, so knowing how these things work I explained to her true agencies only want you to maybe pay for headshots/portfolio, as far as training, they will invest in you. (That is a summary).

Well anyway, after going through the whole thing and I explained to the "Talen Director" that I feel that if they really feel that she has what it takes, I do not feel that I should have to pay them.

At this point the "Executive Director" said to me in front of my child "Sine you do not want to make an investment, it is obvious you do not support your child".

When I began to tell her that supporting my daughter comes from my heart and not my checkbook she said "let's step away you are embarassing your daughter". I have never been so livid in my life.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We would like to offer our sincerest apologies for the way you were treated. We can assure you this is not a true representation of Barbizon and will address this immediately. We would like to speak with you further so we can best address the situation. Please email our Customer Relations Team at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com and we will have a company representative contact you.

Thank you for the advice, Few weeks ago, someone stop my Daughter, in the movie theatre, invited her to an audition in some Hotel, now i am consider to Assist i am Seek about some Scam agency, May Daughter already been Scam of JRP, Years ago. they had told her She was going to be Very sussed, and BLablabla…..

We spent 6000 Dollars for the training she had, now she had done some print Jobs and she is been in a commercial, but never thru John Robert power, after that i sign her with another agency…… because they never offer her a Job.

please anybody out there can tell me, how or we can i take my daughter to Audition for A real LA producer or a Casting Directors because i know she got what it takes to be in the big Screen… thank you…( Despered Mom). anybody HELP !!!!

Thanks for your advice. Me & my child was approached & invited tonight to meet up for perhaps a hotel siminar Sunday.

Now I'm reconsidering.

Thank you again. :sigh

#196854

That is unfortunate you had that situation. My daughter went to Barbizon and it was wonderful.

The folks at Barbizon were always so nice to us and my daughter really got a lot out of their programs. As far as paying money to an agency, no you shouldn't but Barbizon is not just an agency, they are a training facility. That is why there is a fee...for the training. I understand your concern, we are always cautious when it comes to our children and we should be.

I can assure you though that Barbizon is normally a very reputable company and normally the people associated with Barbizon are really nice. Best of luck.

#196736

We would like to speak with you further so we can best address the situation. Please email our Parent Relations Team at parents@***.com and we will have a company representative contact you.

View more comments (3)
ID
#201110 Review #201110 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Confused about Barbizon!!!

I was just called by Barbizon and i'm not really sure what to make of it. They set up a one on one interview with me at a scheduled time and told me that they pretty much hook girls up with modeling jobs where you can make a lot of money quick.

The rep on the phone went on and on about how there are a bunch of scholarship opportunities and things that sound pretty legit. I don't know if i should go to the meeting or not. I would love to get modeling jobs for the money but i'm not interested in going to some school. Help!!!

Is this too good to be true? :/

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We are always happy to answer any questions you have about our program or address any concerns, you can contact us directly at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com.

DO NOT GO! SCAM!!!

#205534

Keep in mind, "MANY" of these posting may come from the scammers who work for barbizon and search for sites just like your postings to give you a POSITIVE feed back!!

#205532

Look people, You GET what you PAY for... If you pay to go to Harvard University OR Your local Community college.

The "OUTCOME" is the more you pay the better the results with ANY SCHOOL And Barbizon is A SCHOOL, But Not a "VERY GOOD ONE"... A "TRUE REAL" Modeling school is going to cost you HUGE BUCKS 30,000 - 40,000 THOUSAND (Same as regular college) but You will have a better OUTCOME.

So if you are willing to pay Barbizon for 7 months and 25 TOTAL hours of school, Its more than likely NOT enough school hours to land you a REAL MODELING JOB!! OR CAREER

#205193

I have been with Barbizon for 6 years now, and they have helped me in so many ways. The training was so great for my confidence, i finally can give group presentations and I feel good.

After graduating my program i applied for my placement packet. About 6 months passed and I started to get calls for Auditions with major casting directors and agents. I went to IMTA and now am signed with Ford MM. I think Barbizon gives girls the skills to make it in life and helps them discover their real beauty.

Just like anything in life you have to work hard and keep trying to meet you goals.

#192999

There is nothing on their website that gives you the cost of the classes. Can someone help me out?

I was kind've leary about my daughter attending Barbizon as well. We decided to go ahead and start her here.

She is now a grad and has had a few local opportunities which turned out well. My daughter's confidence and overall knowledge of modeling & acting is now at the point where she feels comfortable for auditioning for various types of things. You have to start somewhere. I sure as heck dont know all the walks and poses to teach my daughter.

With the fierce competition out there I dont mind paying to get her trained and set up with local things. There a few pissed parents but theres 1,000's of happy parents. This is just another way to keep my daughter involved in something positive and she can make money here and there. We transfered from Tampa to Rhode Island and alls I had to do was call them and update her profile.

Everything has been a pleasure. From the 1st call throughout the whole process.

Ok, I'm a mother who knows alot about this school. Please Listen very carefully.

This is a school. They teach alot about modeling,You will pay alot of money, to only get a certificate at the end, No jobs, Barbizon is good for learning the basics,the money is only for using their name when you land and agency and become rich and famous.

I went to Barbizon so I think I can help you. First of all..it doesn't really sound like you are "pissed" so I don't know why you you chose this site.

Anyway, Barbizon is infact a school. They do help their graduates find jobs but they are not an agency. They do teach you a lot though and I loved my classes. In terms of them being legit...100% Barbizon is legit.

They do offer a college scholarship they give away every year and I think you can win Barbizon scholarships.

I would say, go to the meeting and ask them all of the questions you have. Take your mom with you so she can ask questions too.

View more comments (7)
ID
#193482 Review #193482 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Babizon is a scam

I went to barbizon I even went to a barbizon competition and guess what, they don't do anything for you, They don't help you get jobs, they WON"T help you find agencies to work for (even though they say they will). It doesn't help your career in the least bit, honestly its a waste of time and money you can go to any photographer and have the same pictures taken for less. Socialy it is fun, a bunch of girls getting together doing make-up and talking about how we want to be famous but I'm still sitting in little ole' Vermont waitressing...THANKS BARBIZON...NOT

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
When you completed the Barbizon program, we offer an opporutnity to enter our "placement division" in which we alert you of castings and provide listings of agents and managers in your area. Did you request your placement packet, complete it and send it back to us?

it's so obvious that people who compliment barbizon works for them :)

Top 5 things they need to know before you get accepted.

1. Time (can you get to class?)

2. Transportation

3. Parents Support (money)

4. Intrest (u want modeling or acting?)

5. Money (how you gonna pay?)

This is the formula used in your interview

Barbizon in Charlotte NC harassed me and my child. I called the school system , I called Action 9 News. I encourage you if this happened to you join with me to stop these predators and take action enough is enough!

#205196

#197490

i just got accepted and i am going, is what everyone saying about not getting a job true? They dont help you at all by getting a job?

No Barbizon will not "get" you a job...they give you the tools and YOU have to get the job. When I was a kid my mom spent thousands of dollars on cheer camps and did they "get" me a job a cheerleading...no. Same as when you go to college they don't get you a job..they give you the tools and it's up to you to get a job.

The modeling industry is a very tough industry to get into and you have to work really hard and be really patient...just keep trying..don't give up.

I went to Barbizon and they opened a lot of doors for me...even if I never worked as a model I would not regret going to Barbizon because it was about so much more than just making money as a model.

I love Barbizon!

View more comments (5)
ID
#191418 Review #191418 is a subjective opinion of poster.

Barbizon Schaumburg Class Action Fraud Suit

Barbizon Schaumburg IS a scam. There is NO "review board" and no selection process. Everyone gets accepted, pays a minimum of $2145 and very few get jobs that they couldn't have gotten for free on craigslist. There is only 1 agent for all 10 states who is a part-time actress and couldn't possibly represent even the people at the Scahumburg school much less all the satelite locations throughout the Midwest. Any "starts" got their work through other agencies that they auditioned for through another one of their money-making schemes - the IMTA. THAT costs BIG bucks to attend. I worked for them and saw it firsthand. They are being sued. Join the law suit. There is also one going on in Wisconsin.

Here is the link to the article http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/06/25/28372.htm

Here is the actual complain:

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
The Barbizon you attended is now under new ownership and management. We are sorry for your poor experience in the past but we do believe we can offer a better experience with the new location. We are happy to work to resolve your experience if you would like to contact us at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com

I would just like to say, yes, there are certain special individuals who get picked out by some of the agents that work with Barbizon already. That's no surprise there.

They still try to work with people or get their name out there. But 1 person who is a Happy Graduate out of the 70+ years of girls who have already been in there. 70+ years and $2,000+ for every single girl who joined it. Not once did I see any scholarship given out.

And $2,000 dollars is a lot. I had 50 girls in my class, and that doesn't include the 3 other weekends of every month they had classes that I didn't go. I went to class 1 weekend every month. They do it EVERY weekend though.

$2000 x 200. $400,000+ and they only give out 1 scholarship to one person anyways? OH and guess what, it's probably to another modeling school. It's not a school of your choice.

I worked with Barbizon as a pact booker, and let me tell you, I harassed girls and their family from other states just to attend auditions. They claim they don't accept everyone. Which is true, because some people just might not have had the attitude. But they definitely choose more than what they can accept.

Why? Because they want the money. out of 400 girls there and AWWW you're daughter is picked. How many stories have we heard that are exactly like that.

You want to know why your daughter was chosen? Because they are hoping your parents are willing to fork over money. Some children only got accepted because others' parents couldn't afford to put them in such a school. I also ended up spending money on the cruise.

They gave me plenty of false hope. Said I would be put in front of INDUSTRY PROFESSIONALS. Yea, okay. I got a call back from one of those professionals.

Had my photos for my comp cards taken in the beginning of November 2014. He told me it takes 3 weeks to process. It is now February of 2015, I've made more calls, sent emails, haven't gotten a response, no pictures, and spent $600 on the photos. So not only did Barbizon rip me off twice in a row, they sent me to an agency that was going to rip me off 10 times worse than they did.

I mean, sure, I got to go to the school, and then pay 5 times more for a cruise than normal to go on a Barbizon cruise, but then they send me to an agent that asks for $600 for photos and I get NOTHING in return? I thought I was suppose to be put in a placement division where I could contact and work towards finding a well trusted agent to represent me. Thanks Barbizon, you completely took my money and screwed me over. If I could re-do it all, I would take that money my parents were so willing to give me to make my dream come true, and put it into college.

In college you aren't guaranteed anything either, but at least with a degree I have a higher chance and being successful than trying to be a model where EVERYONE is chosen and special enough to be part of this class. And what's funny is you pay $2,000 to take this class, and they tell you that you should never pay money to be represented by any agent or to even see them. Well 1. Why am I paying $2,000 if all you guys care about is our education.

And 2. Why did you guys give me a talent agency that was asking for upfront money to be part of his agency and then allow me to be ripped off by him? I've spent almost $10k just to be a model. And in class I learned you're not even suppose to pay a dime except to get your headshots done.

Great education training Barbizon. Job well done.

As for Happy Graduate, with that attitude of yours, I'm surprised anyone wants to put you in any of their work. I may not have used proper grammar, spelling, or even punctuation in this entire novel, but you sure as *** didn't either. If you're going to try to embarrass someone by making fun of their spelling and grammar, you better make *** sure yours is f!@#ing perfection my dear.

To all those that have gotten taken advantage of by Barbizon.

I am deeply sorry. Barbizon is all over the United States. And I feel they should be shut down. The school idea is great, but the way they go about their work is poor.

They don't actually try to help you and they really don't give you that much insight and what to expect in the industry. Put that 2 grand into your children's college fund instead.

I graduate from Barbizon in Schaumburg when I was 15 and have had tons of success with Royal since then.

Runway: ReFINDefined, Akira

Print: Nascar, Argus, Bally Doyle

Commercials: Luna, Nissan

Television: Prison Break, Boss

Film: Stranger Than Fiction, Derailed, Batman Begins

That's barely touching on what I have done, but don't want to go through my whole resume.

To "RUNAWAY" I think what you wrote is awful and you should be ashamed. Also, if you truly feel that way, first it's psychotic. Second, what kind of person are you to still put it on your resume.

P.S. You need to go to school, because your spelling in grammar is embarrassing.

I use to work for barbizon schumburg. Sheila Keohane is money hungry.

And her husband nemes the president is the puppetmaster. No there isn't a review process.. Everyone gets called back unless they kill you at the interview table or they "DNS"= do not submit usually because if they sense money problems or either child or parent has attitude problem. They call you back based on your call back time.

They check deeply to see if your parents can pay. And if they can't pay they say ok maybe 2nd session and maybe your child can babysit for the money and if not then they "kill" your application and toss it in the trash. If you do pay then of course they love you and your credit card. They love you more when you pay in full..

And so do the talent directors. But they truly love you after your payment clears. Because that's when the td's commission either 300 200 dollars depending on what state they work in. Option 3 on the payment plan sheet is non existent to them.

Keohane has the worse attitude.. Treats her employees like *** unless you are making her money. I have seen dozens of girls and one *** guy come and go days after they were hired because she doesn't respect anyone pushes everyone to do things her way or u can leave.. Yes barbizon is school.

Yes royal mm is the agency. Yes their talent directors have to call their lead slips until someone answers.. Yes they read a script for everything they say to you over the phone and might throw in a personal story every now and then. If you say its a scam they will say oh but we have an a+ rating with the better business..

And we give scholarships and blah blah blah... But behind closed doors Keohane fired a girl who came back and hung herself in the back room because she was so evil to her. Behind closed doors most people wanted to get fired to get unemployment but they usually just got up and walked. It seems this location hasn't changed at all and is only getting worse..

Yea your kids may get jobs if their lucky and if they stay in contact with Paige. but I feel worse for employees who have to go through he'll to get your kids to enroll... Sneaky business the nemes run.. Have been getting over on people for many many years.

I felt guilty lying to these people at their interviews thinking they were going through an acceptance process.. And for moms and dads on their last dollars paying for this program and its crazy because Keohane will squeeze every penny out of you but could honestly care less about these kids. Smh. Embarrassed that I use to work there.

Felt worse putting it on my resume. :sigh

@PissedConsumer557807

Don't be too hard on yourself. .

At least you are being honest now and trying to help people now. My husband and I were duped out of $500 30 years ago up in Chicago. We were so ***. Wiser now.

.. Stepdaughter now trying to plead with us to allow her to go to Model Act Studio. .. But I fear it is another "school" just waiting to take advantage of the unsuspecting.

God bless you. ..

@PissedConsumer557807

I would just like to begin by apologizing for any anger you seem to be feeling, though I am unsure where it derives from. Barbizon Midwest has been around for over 70 years, has an A+ rating with the BBB, and has given away over one million dollars in college scholarships because we value education. In fact, we are certified by the Board of Education.

First, I would like to clarify there is a selection and it is absolutely untrue that everyone is accepted. Even if we wanted to accept everyone, we simply could not. We see far too many kids to be able to work with them all.

I first began Barbizon at age 14. After graduating I received plenty of work, as well as review classes (free of charge as we still offer) helping me to get into college on scholarship. Modeling and Acting, thanks to Barbizon & Royal, paid my college tuition. I have done hairshows, fashion shows, and print modeling. As well, I have performed for the Second City Chicago, made appearances on Prison Break and Boss, worked on movies like Stranger than Fiction and Batman Begins, and of course done countless commercials.

More importantly, I achieved all of this because the personal development Barbizon Midwest instills in their youth, gave me the confidence to succeed in my career dream. This is the reason I decided to return to the company and act as a voice for them, because it saddens me to think of the youth out there losing this amazing opportunity because someone had a bad experience and decided to write about it on the internet rather than inform the company.

I am here and happy to listen, and resolve any and all unsettled issues. Please call our number at 800-504-**** or email me personally at barbizonmidwestmodels@***.com.

I am available and happy to help!

Tina, speak for yourself. You couldn't be more wrong. You leave yourself wide open to be called an ***!

Barbizon is a school, just like any other training center, and yes you have to pay. It just amazes me that the only people who complain about them are the people who can't afford it.....

Barbizon Midwest is one of the best modeling schools ever, I do know that they had a couple employees leave there and go work for a competitor, who is probably responsible for writing the negative comments on here.

#401907

This cracks me up! I am a mother of a 17 year old daughter who persued Barbizon in Michigan!

She graduated classes in 2008 and has had over 13 paid jobs in the last 2 months. We currently were signed to Factor Women in late 2008 where Haley traveled to NYC for Plitz Fashion Week NYC. For those people out there complaining about Barbizon, it is simply due to the fact that they have ZERO money to pay for their child to get the amazing skills Barbizon gives.

So what do they do....they complain online because of the fact someone else is giving their child the one thing their own child wants and NEEDS! I am a first hand experience of Barbizon being the best step my daughter has chosen for her modeling career!

View more comments (28)

Barbizon not a scam

i was a student at barbizon ibn 2005, and loved it i just never persued a carrer in modeling afterwards, i don't belive its a scam, i payed 1000 dollars true enough but i dont no were yall gget 3000 from, the only thing i didnt like was after paying all that money then u have to pay for ur photo shoot, if uwant to do it it is worth it no they dont promiss jobs u have to do that own ur own but they teach u every thing u need to no. i love it.. dont let some of these people take ur dreams away with there neg thoughts

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We thank you for your review, we are glad to hear you enjoyed your Barbizon experience.

Its been my dream to be an actress since I was 5 and my dream to be a model for about 2 years...I am 12 (gona b 13 in september :) ) and I know I will never be able to persue my dream if I dont do something about it now. I mean look at dakota fanning?

really shes the person I look up to...Well tomorow my mom is going to take me to barbizon tomorrow and I'm not sure if I have a chance :sigh especially if they make us pay alot of money..were not the richest people in the world. I just dont want it to be a scam so I have a chance at my dream...People say its a scam and people say it helped them. I guess I will have to take a chace.

Wish me luck!!! :zzz :grin :)

"Some of us don't need to spend thousands to give our children self-esteem and confidence. It's called good parenting. And it's free"

True, but such good parenting can be very difficult. If Barbizon can have a positive influence in building the kids' confidence to excel in life as well as pushing and motivating them towards getting good grades in school, then I am compelled to take the chance.

"If a modeling agency signs you, THEY WILL TRAIN YOU THEMSELVES, so there is absolutely NO NEED FOR MODELING SCHOOL. You're their investment, their product. They will show you how things are done at their particular agency, and best part is you don't have to shell out thousands of dollars!"

Maybe for the creme of the crop, those showing a great deal of potential... How about those kids who are marginal or just not naturally talented, but have the passion, desire and the willingness to try their best at acting, modeling, etc.? Crush their hope at the onset or afford them the opportunity through Barbizon training? It's a tough call...

I was contacted from a Brabizon representative. Her name was Kelly Rivera--a nice, level headed woman.

I asked her if it was a scam, she obviously replied with a firm no. she said she read my evaluation sheet and was very pleased. I am going for an "audition" on sunday morning (definitely not alone)to see if Barbizon is what they claim they are to be! I will not accept the offer of training if i have to pay.

Once i hear that I am out the door.

I just felt the need to explain what is going on because I am only 16..and ive been searching "barbizon scams" all week and i am prepared for what is there to come.

If i go forth without having to pay--wish me luck! because that is the only way Im sticking with Barbizon (without a fee)(:

#205197

#203733

Ok, so I graduated from Barbizon, and I'm looking for agencies to hire me. Where should I start?

Could you help me out, Merissa? :?

#198572

Barbizon is the best:) 8) :grin

#197102

okayy so i went for an ''audition''@ barbizon a couple of days ago & there i got accepted now i have to pay $3,190 &they give me 12 months to do so, this covers for 7-8 months of classes but theyre asking for a $200 deposit; is this a rip-off?

ive been researching & i found & am aware that some people make it into the world of modeling & some simply dont, i just want to know if this will help me at all & if its worth my time.

im very much into the whole acting & modeling industry & hope to get a job as a model or actor so what they pay me can get me to pay for my college tution in order for me to get a degree in criminal justice i would like to be a homicide detective after my modeling career (if i even get a modeling career) im currently 15 & a sophomore at h.s

my main concern is if this is at all a ripoff??

pls hlp!!

the other day i was at the mall and saw a booth for Barbizon, so i decided to check it out. i filled out a little card and so did my friend.

they said they would contact us for information about a free workshop. yesterday, they called me and said that a agent had been to my school during the school and said i had a good look for acting and modeling. we then set up an interview. my friend was not called by barbizon.

how legit is it, and has that happened to anyone else? THANK YOU!

Barbizon is not a scam! My daughter and I went to the presentation and audition!

Long story short- my daughter was not accepted due to her grades! She is ok with it and is determined to bringing her grades up and going back to the next audition when they come into town! I plan to take her! Again, was skeptical and thought that everyone gets accepted and they were after $$$!

But not in our case and I could have paid this in full! Very Positive experience for both of us even though we were not selected. I am no longer skeptical! She has self confidence in herself but to see how she was after her interview was worth a million bucks!

She was beaming from head to toe! You may be asking why the bad grades? We lost my husband/her father to cancer a few years back and it has been difficult for both of us! She has committed herself now to improve and now has goals- something I haven't been able to draw out of her!

Children need their parents support and acceptance! We all think that our Kids have "it" and that they are the most talented and beautiful but having someone from the outside validate what you have been telling your child all along really hits home! The Talent scout was very positive and she pointed out my daughter's best features and made her feel so special! Miss Jeanne never once promised anything to us and said that the grades may hurt her chances to being selected.

We were not mislead in any way!

We can't wait for our phone to ring again telling us we have another chance! Thank you again Miss Jeanne and Barbizon!

Someone must have pissed in Michelle's cheerios or else she or her daughter was not selected for Barbizon because of their *** poor attitude! hmmmm...

Really!?! laughed at in the modeling industry? I think not! 3 of Barbizon girls have made it on America's Next Top Model!

Look it up and you will see! Proof is in the pudding or else they would be sued for false claims! I also understand that David Archuletta was a barbizon Boy before American Idol! Get real people!

Not everyone will make it this big! Only like 1% out of thousands! If for nothing else - it is something positive for your kids to do! and if placement is successful Great!

if not, at least your kid has walked away with life skills that they can use their entire life! Do it for the right reasons!

To make money? or to enhance your child's life!

View more comments (13)
Good customer service

DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AND MONEY

This "school" is a complete and total joke.They make the kids believe that its some ultra-exclusive honor to be "allowed" to go here.well news flash THEY WILL TAKE ANYONE WHO IS WILLING TO PAY THEM OVER $2000. My friend went to the six month course (2 classes per month) and im really confused as to what exactly her "tuition" was going towards.The only thing that costs Barbizon anything was the price to rent out a couple rooms at a hotel two times a month.

At the "graduation" ceremony,which is a "fashion show",they dont do anyones make-up,hair,and they all wear their own outfits.I'm pretty sure they dont give out fashion tips either because some of the girls just looked like a hot mess. You dont have to look like a model or have any talent to go here. I actually feel bad for my friend because she actually has potential (shes skinny,pretty and tall) and here she is in this class with a bunch of random girls that couldve been picked up from off the street for all we know. The "ceremony" was very pathetic,the "instructor" was very uncoordinated and didnt know anyones name.

(I wonder if she even has any kind of experience in the industry).

BOTTOM LINE,if you are serious about wanting a career in acting or modeling DO NOT GO TO THIS SCHOOL. It is a complete and total waste of money and I dont even know how these people sleep at night.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
Like any business, we do have overhead expenses and there for we do have a fee for our program for things like supplies, teachers, classroom space, ect. We do hope your friend enjoyed the program.

i went 2 barbizon ...n it sucked.....they really r a rip off ....all i no is when i payed tht money ..i didnt pay it just 2 gain confidence....i did it because i wanted to be a model....n until today the only thing barbazon has done 4 me is sent me to other places to pay more money.... i wish i did not waste my parents money like tht....after payin so much money ....all i have 2 show 4 it is some cheap makeup....which doesnt even cost 1/4 of the money i payed....barbazion people r baddd people ...n if they r readin this i just want 2 say u have ript me off n i 4 gave n i am movin on with my life....but i day your lies will catch up with u ...

#204739

i attended Barbizon manhattan, and it was truly a BAD experience.Im not trying to be conceited,but i was the only "descent" looking one in my group, and i was told i was part of an exclusive group, that would be guaranteed a job..etc. well honestly this was not worth the $2,300 i paid. worst mistake ever.

#200554

They could care less if you get a modeling job. And they wouldn't know how to get you one anyway.

And most modeling agencies will laugh in your face if you tell them you went to Barbizon. These thieves take A HUGE AMOUNT of your money and know full well you'll never be a model and won't realize you've been ripped off until after you "graduate".

#200142

Well i went to the interviews and my friend did it wit me and they all got called on monday and then the people called me on tuesday. at first i was happy but then the man started pressuering me about the money and i didnt know wat to do and then he said give me your credit card number to save you a spot and me being f**kin *** :( i did and they took out 395 dollars and every day i call to say "no" and he says well u made an "agreement" i feel *** i am gonna cumit suicide because of them i said no so many times and he said its your life and i know that and i know what i want and it is to become a doctor not a model he thinks he knows wat i want wat should i do :( :cry :upset :( :( :( :( :( :(

#197868

i am one of the girls that went to the aduition ther is a speech that takes 2 hours and the wait to get u called to hav ur interview is also 2 hours u hav to pay li[ke 2000 and if u go to the klases it dosent meen ur going to get the job if i wer u i wold save the moni for colage or something beter its a rip off okay :( :( :( :( :eek

i was asked to bring my daughter to atl for an interview we r in indy shld we go

Hello all u unsure soon to be barbizon students! I am going to tell u something useful!

Barbizon is for anyone who wants to go but u can go to them or they can come to you. Barbizon is personal development, modeling, and acting. I made plenty of nice new friends at barbizon, now am doing advanced modeling(exclusive), and work there one day a week for the summer. I absolutely love to see all the people blossom into a beautiful confident new person.

You don't have to do it if u don't want to. U can get jobs from barbizon but remember it is not ford modeling agency. They encourage people to go to the big modeling agencies. Barbizon gives confidence, poise, and a better feeling about urself.

I loved it and am still carrying out the program.

Barbizon is not a scam but is not free, is anything? I would recommend it to anyone who I think would be interested.

No one has any guarantee after graduation. No promises, just the tools. The rest is up to the graduate

Correction.-- If you WANT your child to do good.

Really guys? This is Pethitic.

They are really good. and if you dont want your child to do good you have to be willing to pay what you need to pay and be devoted.

dont blast them over the internet! that shows how cheap you are

View more comments (19)

Child Given Rough Ride by Sales Pitch at Barbizon

When my daughter told me she had an audition for someone that told her about college money......I thought wonderful. She really is into the visual arts and had just come around to have more confidence in herself, her photography and her appearance.

When we showed and I saw the cattle call atmosphere and everyone with a "2:30" audition time, I knew something was up. Then when we were herded into the one small room and the sales pitch began, I was angry at the thought of spending my Sunday afternoon on a scam. But actually, the longer she spoke, my daughter became excited, and I thought well, if this is something she wants great and it seemed they could accomodate a payment plan, if they "accepted" her why not. After a long hot wait in a cramped room we were taken out of the room by a Mr. Christian. Who needs a lesson in looking people in the eye......First questions, were are you committed, is the money a problem if we take her. Now a news flash is going thru my head that there is something wrong. He tossed a well-worn chapstick commercial at her and had her read as he doodled notes. Great he says...real potential etc. etc. as he continues to write. He took one of the many pics she brought, never asked about her "other talents" she has a beautiful voice as well - YOU MISSED THAT ONE! Told us to sit by the phone and wait.

We went home and discussed this. Took to heart the committment (as we were asked to repeatedly by the main speaker and her sad story about the little girl with the Disney Star that could have been hers if not for her Father) etc. We discussed the $$ (We are talking almost 2,000 dollars for six lessons) Looked at the curriculum (and the things you have to still come up with afte the initial payment) and what her true goals were with this. She surfed the Internet and BAM all these hits about scam, losing your money, etc all came up. A few good comments, again from that top 5% that do make it mostly, what her chances would be to pursue her true goals by buying pumps and make-up and did that fit into what she really wanted and what her 2,000 dollars would buy for camera equipment, a class in photography or other local work. She thought about it and decided she would like to know what they thought of her....but she couldn't quite committ to what they wanted and thought she for now should do something else. I told her fine, when he called to tell him thank you for the opportunity, but no thank you.

I received a call from Mr. Christian promptly at 6:30 and the first thing out of his mouth was do you have your paperwork, let's talk about the money.....money.....money. My daughter tried to explain that she was really not interested, but he was such a hustler that she couldn't get a word in edgewise......I started to help her out (she is still a kid, but I was trying to let her handle her business). He just kept pumping....well isn't this what you want.....isn't this your dream to be a runway model? I asked then, okay, tell me what you saw in my child to think she was going to be successful......and why did they accept her, was told very rudely, that he had not accepted her yet, but wanted some more info.....he had concerns....you should have heard my daughter's voice fail at that moment, oh, I am not accepted, and I am sure mentally it was wow I was so awful he won't even share any comments. Response was that he needed more info - yeah more info like my credit card number.......how wonderful he was for calling and even considering her blah blah.....now the conversation went really bad. He had hurt my child - And you do not do that with me or my husband. Believe me we have spent tons of money on our kids as they tried to find the right "dream" You name it, music lessons, dance lessons, color guard, marching band trips to both coasts (Macy and Rose Parade) as well as in-between, BOA Grand National Championships........it isn't the money.

I kept trying to interrupt to just tell him thank you, but goodnight, and he just kept the sales pressure up. I finally gave the phone over to my husband, who by now was concerned that I was getting upset. He asked our daughter to hang up the phone (we were on a three-way call) and he would handle things....he just kept yelling at my daughter about failure and Mr. Christine actually had the nerve to tell her no, don't go you are blowing your opportunity to ever work in this industry.....Are you kidding me? If I don't shell out $2,000 dollars to you then YOU have the power to blackball my child from stepping foot into CA in the business? I am sure your competition would love to hear that and I did pay attention..Barbizon is a SCHOOL, not the agency......Give me a break......could make a nasty comment on your acting abilities right now......but will not.

My husband tried to end the conversation to just make it end, and he kept going on about how he has kids and parents begging him to take their child and we were going to throw away my daugher's chances. Was it a money thing? That was the last insult.....That is about the time my husband just did end the conversation and informed them not to call my daughter again.

I cannot believe I ever subjected my daughter to your company. Again, I was skeptical.....but gave you the benefit of the doubt. And yes, Mr. Christian.....maybe on your wonderful career as a daytime soap star...you might have $2,000 to drop on something just because, and I would have found the money if this really had been shown to be something positive for my daughter.......but YOU blew it with your nasty, I am a super soap star attitude, grovel at my feet attitude!

You did get one thing right, my daughter is a bubbly, warm, very photogenic and wonderful visual artist with her photography and YOU missed the boat with this one!!

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We are sincerely sorry for the way our employee handled your audition process. We appreciate your feedback so we can address this internally and improve our experience moving forward.

Because we are independently owned and operated, Barbizon Midwest is its own entity. Please be careful in clarifying which Barbizon you are referring to. Barbizon Midwest is always happy to resolve any issues within our own company.

Phone: 847-241-****

Email: Barbizonmidwestmodels at gmail.com

Check out our Barbizon MIDWEST website, blog (blogspot), facebook, twitter, or pinterest!

I use to work for barbizon schumburg. Sheila Keohane is money hungry.

Felt worse putting it on my resume. :sigh

Phone: 847-241-****

Email: Barbizonmidwestmodels at gmail.com

#219797

We absolutely LOVE Barbizon. I put my daughter in the classes and boy she's doing great.

There's always going to be someone unhappy and complaining...right. Just look around at all the whinners.

Please appreciate life!!! :cry :cry

Is there anyone who can vouch for Barbizon AND provide REAL credidentals for knowing said information?

And @Tess - I'm not a model, but I have been acting in the theater for 10 years and I have a lot of friends who work in television and film out in LA, and am acquainted with many well-know actors, so I am pretty familiar with the way the industry works... trust me, if you want to make it, you're better off NOT telling people you went through Barbizon.

It's not going to hurt you, but it's CERTAINLY not going to make things easier for you and if anything, you'll just be laughed at (not to your face though, because they'll probably feel sorry for you).

I love what I'm doing and make good money as a theater actor, plus I get residuals from SAG and commercial work I've done, I was just trying to make some extra cash because I was buying a house and wanted to pay for it all at once and not have to take out a mortgage (which I was able to do even after quitting). I don't want to owe anyone any money, especially not a bank!

As a former Barbizon "talent director" (read: sales person), I can verify that the program pitch is a script that we have to memorize and practice... if the child's guardian looks as though they have access to money we are to "accept" them based on the child's "potential".

You might ask what having money looks like - well, according to the owner of Barbizon Midwest (and NOT ME), if the family looks like "trailer trash", don't accept them. Seriously, no matter what they tell you, they are in it for the money and regardless of what Barbizon you go to, the owners of each of the franchises all know each other and share scripts/sales pitches. It's sick and NOT something I wanted to be a part of. I know that they say they have models all over the world - and you know what?

They have a few people who have gone to IMTA (a $5000 waste of money) and lucked out, but when you have thousands and thousands people who have gone through your program, someone is bound to make it - more often than not, INDEPENDANTLY of your program. I started working there through a friend without knowing what it was (which is my own fault for going in blindly) - she told me it was a modeling/talent agency and I needed something part time because I was in-between jobs (I am a theater actor in the city) and wanted to supplement my commercial income. I thought is was weird because I had never heard of Barbizon and I am pretty familiar with most of the talent agencies in Chicago. Well, once I started there, I realized what a mistake it was.

I spoke to my agent about Barbizon and she told me that it was a reputed joke in the industry and that it was merely a scheme for the owners to make money and that the only thing they could sell without lying would be a charm-school program. I told her about the manipulative things we were told to say to the children and parents over the phone (we were recorded by the owners and reprimanded if we didn't follow the scripts which were "guaranteed to bring in the money" if we followed them). I can't lie, even part time the money was good, but I was so ashamed of what I was doing, I left. if you want your children to break into the industry, have them take classes at reputable institutions that have professional teachers, like Second City and have them get involved in community theater.

Don't shell out thousands of dollars at places like Barbizon or John Robert Powers (which I learned about at Barbizon... we were told to call that company a scam if the parents brought them up to us or if their child had taken classes there).

I'm just trying to clear my conscience and tell as many people as I can about how they truly do not care about the individuals there. All they care about is your money and it's totally sick.

I'm so sorry to hear about this terrible experience. My heart goes out to this young lady, as well as to her parents.

That person who spoke to them was absolutely wrong on every count. This was NOT our experience with Barbizon at all. My daughter auditioned with four hundred girls, and was one of sixty chosen. They did make sure we understood the financial commitment, but no one pressured us at all.

They spent time with her during her audition, asked about her interests that she had noted on the application, and even asked her to sing something when she mentioned her voice lessons. Everyone we've dealt with has been wonderful, and I believe the school itself is a respectable and excellent institution. No, it's not cheap -- no one said it would be.

They expect their students to work hard, but they give the kids all the help they can. The rep described in this story needs to be fired, in my opinion.

yes you have to pay for it.

Barbizon is a school that gives you a BETTER chance at coming in contact with legit agencies by improving your walk, attitude & appearance. Never once do they guarantee that $2,000 will buy you or your child fame.

Im 17 & know this.. people claiming Barbizon is a scam obviously know nothing about how the modeling word works.

@PissedConsumer146309

Tyra Banks actually went to modeling school! JRP, JOHN ROBERT POWERS! Talk about a scam school!

View more comments (11)

Barbizon IS a scam

barbizon promised my 16 year old daughter they would have her making a ton of money...all she had to do was take the classes, and all I had to do was pay $3000. At the end of it, I am $3000 poorer and they broke her heart.

I will never again let someone get her hopes up like that. Now she has gotten very depressed, has stopped hanging with her friends, and has all but lost her other job. This has been a very long drawn out ordeal for us.

I just hope she pulls out of it alright. She's a stong person, they just lied to her and told her everything she wanted to hear.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We are sorry you were not happy with your Barbizon experience. We recommend calling the Barbizon you attended to make sure they have updated information in their systems so your daughter can find out about opportunities in here area.
#204121

TO RATHER NOT SAY first of all, you obviously dont kno anything so dont think that your some agent who knows everything. if you send photos, they\'ll just throw them away. ou have to be referred by someone like an agent or an ACTING SCHOOL.

#204119

barbizon is not a scam. it promises to teach you things.

but they never said that they would get you roles. they are amazing people and actual actors sometimes theach the class. amanda tepe from wizards of waverly place was there with me a few times.

and catheryne kresge is my teacher. barbizon is an amazing place and ur *** for thinking that it'll make you an actor just because it has to do with acting.

#201431

i dont like the fact that people aare calling barbizon a scam bc they r not this month is my last class and im going to graduate , when i went to audition they told me that they will NOT PROMISE you a job but they will help us be who we want to be, i have not even graduated yet and i made this audition called pass port to discovery barbizon will help you but its your choice to take your way up to the top

barbizon is not a scam, im going there now and it is great. they let you know that you're not PROMISED jobs and it's not JUST for the people who want to become famous.

it's about building self esteem, personal development, and gives you life long tips about job interviewing, fashion, makeup, table ettiquette, what's there not to love?!

i love these classes and it's really changed my life. :grin

I'm sorry people think Barbizon is such a scam. You know, I agree so much with Robert.

Its a one in a million shot for a girl to become a model, or any kind of famous for that matter. Did you honestly go into this believing that some people could make your daughter and all the other girls in her class models? I'm sorry, but nothing in life works that way. I'm forever grateful for my Barbizon experience.

I met so many amazing girls, and my confidence has gone through the roof, and it shows. I get calls from Barbizon people every couple weekends to complete paying jobs for them, and I've gotten several paychecks in the mail, and recieved many jobs from them, all paying at least $10 an hour.

Its more about trying, and working your butt off to be that one in a million girl to stand out, because Barbizon DOES work with a lot of girls. I hope your daughter starts having better luck though, and I'm sorry things didn't seem to work out for her.

Scams don't last for 7O+ years;;

Barbizon's legit 8)

barbizon is the biggest scam ever. you should never pay money up front for anything.

But every parent of a child actor must go through at least one scam. :(

I realy liked barbizon while I was taken the classes. I had so much fun and learned and built up my self-esteem.

But, every audition i go to, that they've called me for, I get in but I've never got to do any of it cuz it always cost so much money.

They're just getting money out of people. If you have the money to just give them $1,000-$2,000 the next day.

I think the problem is missing the point of Barbizon. Barbizon is a modeling SCHOOL.

That is why it cost money...just like if you send your kids to soccer camp or dance lessons. My daughter went through the Barbizon school and they NEVER promised her a job...in fact they asked her to tell her a goal she had besides modeling, knowing that now everyone will become famous. The emphasize self improvement and work on building a positive self esteem in their classes and they put a very strong emphasis on the importance of education. My daughter left Barbizon a changed girl and for the better.

Her grades came up she, she was so much more confident and she was so happy. I am sorry to hear your daughter is having a hard time. I just don't think it fair to slander a company that doesn't deserve it.

Barbizon was completely upfront and legit in everything we did with them and to many of the friends we made a long the way there. They are really a wonderful organization and deserve some positive credit.

How come they dont have more scholorships?

View more comments (12)

Barbazon modeling agency

I have an appointment to go and see the barbizon modeling agent Raine tomorrow and i am a little confused about how legit barbazon actually is. I have talked to this woman on the phone and she claims that there will be no money required.

from reading the reviews on this site i have read that there are some people who think it was an amazing experience and some who claim its a huge rip off. Is going to there info session tomorrow worth it?

also if i do end up going will i have to register on the spot?

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We appreciate you doing your research, you can find our more about our programs at barbizonmodeling.com

Just to set the record straight...Barbizon is NOT an agency. However, it is a SCHOOL and does provide placement within.

If the student does not put forth 100% then they will never get an audition. Most of the students and parents think that once you leave the school all you do is wait for that knock on the door. Its going to be a big producer saying that you are going to be a star. It doesn't happen that way.

I've been in the business for 20 years and I know from experience that you have to work hard at it. I'm not saying that everything Barbizon does is right. I do know they have helped girls become more confident in themselves. Barbizon want make you a star but they will help girls become more prepared for what goes on in the entertainment world.

You have to want it bad enough to work for it. Get off your butts and look for work and an agent yourself.

yes you have to pay for it.

Tyra Banks is right.. "you should never have to pay for a modeling career" this means DON'T EVER PAY TO GET IN TO AN AGENCY (any AGENCY that makes you pay is a scam). But schools aren't free.. Barbizon is a school that gives you a BETTER chance at coming in contact with legit agencies by improving your walk, attitude & appearance.

Never once do they guarantee that $2,000 will buy you or your child fame.

we all watch top model and tyra says never pay for a modeling career ...they are to pay u

I have attended barbizon, this is just my expirence with them. There were commercials all over the t.v.

and the radio that they were going to be in my area holding audtions(open calls) to get into their classes. I was so excited and really wanted to go. My mother ended up taking me it was held in a hotel and 100's of people showed up. We were given a number and had to do a little commercial in front of everyone in front of a camera, after that we spoke with people affiliated with barbizon they asked me some questions about why I wanted to be with them and what not.

The next day we were given a time to call ,and I was chosen supposedly a few out of the 100's(I dont know if thats true or if everyone was choosen). Also, I was told they needed to know soon because the classes were going to be starting up within the month.It, took my family a while to decide if they were going to let me do it because of the cost and wondering if it was a scam. But, barbizon was patient they wernt mad I didnt sign up within the time frame they had set. So my family signed me up and I found out they classes were 2 hours away from where I lived.

Since, I didnt live close to the area I couldnt attened the classes with a class full of 10 or 12 people. But, they told me they really wanted me and had faith and set up a seperate set up with me. Instead of going to them once a week for 6 months or what not for a couple hours. I ended up going once a month and was there for 8 hours a day.

I did learn a lot about runway, speaking, poise, acting, photo shoots and posing. It really did help me with my confidence. I graduated and recieved my certificate. The next process was to get signed by their agent, which was form to fill out and send back.

My dream turned to fall on the back burner because of college. But, barbizon did give me a lot of confidence. They also tell you when you do their classes and what not you are signed with them for life and do not have to make any more payments if you need to take classes for brushups.

A scam does not offer that to you. I think it was a good expirence exspence but worth it.

First of all I'm shocked that there is a school for modeling as I thought this was just a "look" or "talent" that scouts sought out. Can't you go to calls on your own without spending 2000 on all of this? Seems sketchy to me.

I agreed to meet with Barbazon as well, and it does require money but when there were call backs, I got accepted so that made me excited. My mom thinks it would be good for me to do something with my life or something like that, but when the lady called to see if we would do it, it ended up to be about 2000 and my parents werent really for that but the good thing was is that they have payments you can make(which was no less than $130) my parents weren't really sure if they wanted to pay it and so they told the lady from Barbazon no...

But then she called back and wanted to help us out.

she brought it down to $1600 and payments of $93. they aren't just out for your money but want to make something out of you if your willing to put in the work.

View more comments (5)

Is barbizon invinsible

All I am thinking is, when will someone put an end to barbizon and their scam? does anybody ever get their money back and who do you call when one become a victim by barbizon?

Are they untouchable? are they bigger than the law? People like us need to know where to go for help. Consumers are always being ripped off and there seem to be no place to turn for help after the fact.

I would like to know how to get my money back.

I have visa receipt and rest paid in cash. I have the barbizon,s receipts.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We would be happy to help you by reviewing your account, if there is infact a refund due on your account, we would be happy to refund your money. You can reach us via email at barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com.

I honestly belive this school is a scam i go there and the teachers are very unexpireneced,rude,and alot more.. I want to get my money back..

Is this really true? Omg, this is terrible

:x

yes you have to pay for it.

Barbizon does everything the promise to do, they promise to prepare their customers for the road ahead, whether it be modeling or acting, or being a better woman. Barbizon does not promise to make anyone rich or get them into an acting or modeling career only to prepare them for these events if they are willing to work hard enough to get there.

Barbizon does everything they promise they will do, the problem occurs whe people think Barbizon will instantly get them the career they desire.

Barbizon never promotes this, they just prepare those who are willing to put in the work to get reach their dreams. From an outside view point I must say that Barbizon does everything they promise and more, not only do they show girls how to reach their dreams they show them how to be proper women regardless of what their dreams might be.

its called the better business buruea and your alwaYS suppose to research a company before giving them money. you coulda googled the name and read the 1000s of ripoff reports. so thats where people can go.

View more comments (4)
$2000

Barbizon is just made to SCAM parents!

I went to Barbizon in Wilkes-Barre, PA when I was 12. I sent my contact info to them via their website. Miss Deborah (the franchise owner) called me and when we (my mom and I) said we would come in and talk, she insisted that we HAD to do it the upcoming weekend because it was the last day to register for the next set of classes. My mom paid $100 per class, a total of $2000.

The "school" was located in a mini-stripmall type thing. Like a group of offices where you'd find an insurance company, a hair salon, and a small pharmacy. It had your typical 7-8 foot ceilings like a home. The "runway" was a small, carped, T-shaped platform. We usually went down the basement to practice our walks and stuff. The runway down there was a bunch of lines made with duct tape on the concrete floor with a few mirrors leaned up against the wall. All we would do it practice walking, turning, and posing. We did makeup only one or two classes.

We would be sent out for lunch about halfway through the day. After we came back from lunch, we would be weighed and measured. Why was I measured after I just ate a full meal? ;)

Since the ceilings were not high enough, our "photoshoot" was held at a nearby Hotel (The Hilton Garden Inn on Highland Park Blvd. in Wilkes-Barre. The girls and the boys were given one hotel room each to change in. They had a makeup artist and a hairstylist (who I found out worked for the hair salon in the Hazleton Walmart after talking to her). The photographer was a man from Florida. This counted as a class, so it already cost $100, plus the cost of the pictures. Our photos were all black and white, and we had to make up our own poses. I can remember my mom *** about them being so expensive. We got one free 8 x 10 and we had to pay for the rest.

When graduation came around, my mom said I wasn't going because we had to pay for the costumes. Graduation also counted as a class (another $100). I talked to other girls who did go, and they said the costumes were still being put together by parents just hours before the show, and that they were falling apart!

I haven't heard from Barbizon since my last class in 2005. They never told us about any local casting calls or auditions. Some girls who really did have some talent were "accepted" into Miss Deborah's talent agency, D&D Talent. Some of them paid another $2000 to go to IMTA (a complete joke to fly to New York just to meet with scouts and not know if you're even going to be signed).

Miss Deborah is a SCAM ARTIST. Barbizon in general is a giant scam. They suck young girls in by saying, "Hey, (famous person) went to our school. If you come here, you could be just like them!" They suck parents in by keeping everything a secret until they meet with the parent and child. Parents don't want their kids to feel like they're crushing the dreams, so they say yes.

I regret going to Barbizon. That $2000 could definitely have been much better used elsewhere.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We are sorry you were not happy with your Barbizon experience. We very much try and provide each student a wonderful experience and would like to make this right for you. We are happy to resolve any outstanding issues if you could please contact us directly at Barbizon@barbizonmodeling.com.

I went to Barbizon too, same location you went to. I totally GET what you're saying..but I also continued to the IMTA in NYC and spent more money..I think my mom dropped a total of $10K on me just to see my dreams come true..umm wanna hear about crushed dreams?

Deboraha told me I would NEVER be a model, just an actress and when a Japanese company was interested in me..she pushed another girl their direction..NOT ME..so they dropped me QUICK. I never really got anything out of it, maybe one small gig.

FYI: My favorite part about this lady is when we would "carpull" to go to NYC...Deboraha would never drive, but she would come along (how does this make sense because the parents are paying all this $$$ plus some to cart children up to NYC and she comes along and doesn't offer gas money or anything) she would bring donuts along and offer them to everyone...yes you heard that right..and get offended if you didn't take any!

Then later CRITICIZE you for not being thin enough!..Yeah what the heck is right..I'm so over it. The only way to become a model/actress is to contact NYC agencies DIRECTLY!

I currently go to Barbizon in Massachusetts and my classes were NOTHING like yours. Yes, it did cost around 2000 dollars but its not that much of a rip off (well for me).

We didn't have to pay for our pictures for the photo shoot and we had it at the studio where we have classes. Our classrooms aren't ragged like you explained yours. For the photoshoot, we had to do our own makeup and all of that jazz, which is fine. Yes, you do only have a few make-up themed classes but its nothing to complain about and I am already experienced with make-up.

But, you can always get better with it by going online and looking at youtube videos. I like Barbizon but I guess its different in all states I guess...

Yep, I agree that Barbizon is indeed a rip off. My beautiful daughter wanted to go there, & when we got in the "office" in a strip mall, it was nothing more than a dirty little rented room.

There were wall to wall parents & kids of every type waiting for their big chance. After our initial interview, my daughter was called back in. THEN-they hit us with the portfolio charges, classes etc..which was WAY more than I expected or could afford. I knew then it was a real scam.

My daughter was disappointed, but I explained that I had an aunt who was a cover model & she didn't have to pay THEM to be a model, THEY paid her.

I can't believe that they are even still conducting this scam because that was at least 15 years ago. So-do listen to the scam stories, they are true.

And if you really want to model, like others said, have pics taken & send them to REAL agencies. And be prepared to do the footwork-anything you want bad enough you have to work for!

:x

I just want to start off by saying that if you want to pay someone to give your kids low self esteem, send them to Barbizon or D & D talent. Tearing students down is what Miss Deborah is talented at. Let me tell you about some of my experiences with Miss Deborah...

I attended Barbizon and D & D talent when I was about 15-16 years old. I weighed about 115 lb.'s. and was 5'6. In one of our classes, Miss Deborah lined myself along with the rest of the class on stage in our bathing suits. She asked the other students to point out what was wrong with my body. I remember when no one said anything she looked at me and said " You are ok for real life, but never as a model"...side note: Miss Deborah is about 80 lb.'s overweight. A school that "builds confidence?" no.

Another time I was 15 minutes late to D & D because of a annual doctors apt that took 6 months to wait for, and Miss Deborah kicked me out of the runway competition that I was suppose to perform in New York.

Miss Deborah is full of contradictions. After telling us we are fat and need to loose weight, she suggests going to eat out at fast food restaurants. As a 15 year old, I didn't know how to wear makeup but I knew well enough that wearing clown makeup was not the proper way. Deborah is obviously confused with how to teach good health decisions and how to put on makeup because she herself is going about it the wrong way.

Not only does she steal money and take away confidence but she is ruthless in doing it. I can't take back my experiences, but hope that whoever is reading this will not go to Miss Deborah for a thing. She is a terrible person and you want nothing to do with her.

I went to this school about 10 years ago when I was 14 years old....Miss Deborah is such a scam!!!! After my parents paid for all the classes, she told me point blank that "you don't have potential to be a model!" After the classes we went to New York for the competition week where I received many callbacks for modeling and talent agencies.

In fact I won 1st place in many of my competitions. We later went to New York to follow up with the callbacks, where my mom had to drive us all because Miss Deborah refused to pay or drive into the city! She wasn't helpful at all! She had something against me and never wanted to help me out, although Ford Models and New York Models were interested in me, she continued to ignore it.

She basically left me to do all the work on my own. She still insisted money from me after I signed with an agency that I worked hard to get signed with all on my own. I did everything on my own, now 10 years later I'm in many national commercials and have continued modeling. You girls/guys do NOT need this *** school to begin your modeling/acting career.

She will do NOTHING for you and demand for your money. She's an evil, EVIL woman..who really doesn't deserve your money!

If you think your child has potential, call up the agencies yourself or bring them in for open calls. Your money is a waste with her school!!!!

My experience with barbizon was amazing! I started at Barbizon Chicago!

Once I completed classes I was registered directly with the agency and started work part time! I landed 5-8 jobs within the first 3 months after graduating! I then moved to NY where I started working for an agent Barbizon helped me work with! I am now part of BCBG MAXAZRIA Runway!

Thanks Barbizon! It was alll worth it!

@PissedConsumer345775

Ok... it's about time.

Ronopoly on YouTube

i just started barbizon and i didnt think it was THAT bad, i did hear thier are people pretenting to be barbazon and scamming those peope so... :?

:? :?

Boy do I feel for all of you. I am a former grad also many yrs ago.

Ms Desiderio is NOT a graduate of Barbizon. The former owner wanted to sell the business & didn't want to keep it in the family so sold it to her. Ms Desiderio was a graduate from a modeling school whose owner was a former Barbizon employee. When Ms.

Desiderio had a falling out with her she came running to Barbizon. I was working there when she started working there. I was embarassed to see parents walking thru with their children & seeing Ms Desiderio walking around with he clown make-up, BIG hair & being alot over weight. Parent WAKE _UP!!!!

Do you want your child loking like that. Parents take it from me ITS A SCAM. You do not need to go to modeling school to become a model. Get your son or daughter some good pics & do the leg work yourself, go the big agencies, Ford etc.

If your child is good they are going to get signed them up. Barbizon is a finishing school not a modeling school. I knew all the ins & out of the school I know what kind of hopes the young people. As far as self esteem that comes with age & we all know that comes with time.

Save your money and do it on your own. The have guys & girls right out of graduating teaching. You DO NOT WANT TO SIGN UP WITH ANY AGENIES THAT WANT YOU TO PAY FOR PICS OR WANT YOU TO PAY TO SIGN WITH THEIR AGENIES. I learned that from the 1st owner Mrs.

MCLachlan.

Isn't tha what Barbizon is asking you to do?????? Good Luck all if it is meant to be then you will be discovered but you don't have the experience.

#198128

Well, I'm currently in Barbizon, and personally, I don't think it's a scam. They motivate you and help you prepare for modeling and acting.

There was NEVER a guarentee that they would get you a job.

If you read carefully, they say they PREPARE you. I enjoy it a lot.

View more comments (30)
$2000

Barbizon want to sign my daughter for agency

We recieved a call telling us that my daughter was picked for agency. I asked her isn't everyone?

She said anyone can go to the school but she is picked for agency and will be used right after graduation. It seems that she has all the qualification they are looking for. I know my daughter is an attractive, thin, personable 16 year old. She isn't really excited about this but I would hate for her to loose the oppurtunity.

Anyone else told this?

Please answer ASAP as my deadline now approaches and I have to let them know by 3. !!!

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:

It depends what you want from your experience. Yes, you can get an agency that will only take money if you work.

Barbizon is an entirely different experience. You learn about the industry and modeling. They do work to find you work once you graduate. Agencies will tell you that you don't need school to become a model, but for me, it was really fun and well worth the money and time.

I met new friends and learned a great deal about self confidence. Barbizon is a business and they have employees and need to pay bills. Everything I have done with Barbizon is giving me experience to write on resumes, including my college resume.

Not to mention the friends I have made and will probably keep in touch with for a long time. If you attend for the right reasons, then it is great experience!!!!

my daughter got a call for an interview from Barbizone so we went,she got accepted it cost 1695.00 i am scared it is a scam and they do not guaranteed that she will do acting or anything please someone let me know what this company is about.

@PissedConsumer539678

Don't do it! It's a scam!

They will tell you your daughter is beautiful, talented, etc. ( which is probably true) bht they just want money & nothing else!

@PissedConsumer539678

:roll we'll I'm in barbizon and I paid already . They only teach you stuff and tell you how to model and act , they are not responsible of you or your child to not be signed as a model or actor , so just keep the good work and try your best at all times !!

Barbizon recently contacted me about coming to their school. I am supposed to go do an interview with them this saturday but decided not to do it after talking to a few friends of mine who has experience with modeling.

Barbizon is strictly to help with self confidence. They will NOT find you work. If you are an inspiring model your best bet is to get a portfolio together and submit them into your local modeling agencies. It may be good experience for a younger teenager but not for someone who is serious about modeling.

Please, if you are serious about modeling do not waste your money on this. Pay for a photoshoot to create your own portfolio.

I went with a friend her child was attending Barbizion in Ardmore,PA 1,800 for the money they spent there, You would expect them to give a nice fashion show with gifts or prize when there class is over. NO, and they still want u to pay for audtion and contest. :?

My 12 year old daughter is one of 300 girls who went on an audition with Barbizon and one of 50 who were chosen. She I'd starting her training this weekend and is so excited.

It is expensive, but there is a payment plan, so that helps.

I want to help support my daughter in anyway I can. I am looking forward to seeing all she will become with this experience .

Honestly, Barbizon is costly. It is also a great place to learn about growing up.

I'm 19 and currently attend Barbizon which is a different life experience. Since I am one of the oldest there it is kind of awkward, but I enjoy the classes and talking to the other younger girls. I think that a child will benefit from Barbizon if they are a little older than 12 because it is a lot of information to take it. Some of the kids I'm in the program with aren't mature enough.

You have to make sure that as a parent, your child is mature enough to take Barbizon seriously. That is my only advice. Other than that, I think Barbizon does help with confidence, learning about how to be proper,having good routines with skin care and makeup, and to have fun. I've learned many things that would help me, such as how to be a better person and think positively.

I've also learned more about modeling; they make you wear heels to class so you can learn how to walk in them, walk the runway in them, and do the different turns and things. I know that this is a great experience, whether it is worth the money or not, for a great lesson in taking care of yourself. I'd also like to add that I was skeptical at first too... Like "what if I don't like it..

but my parents paid so much... what if I really don't want to be a model???!" Seriously, I was starting to freak myself out. I told myself to chill and enjoy myself, so that's what I did.

:) BTW I'm only doing the modeling part so I don't know how it is for acting. Sorry.

I WILL ALSO BE CONTACTED TONIGHT WITH REGARDS TO THE MODELING. PLEASE PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHAT THEY SAY ABOUT THE BOOKINGS AFTER HER TRAINING

#302043

Barbizon should not ask for money. If they are intrested in YOU...

then they should not ask for it. Thats also how a modeling agency works. They book YOU jobs and they get comission of of it. (They get some of the money, since they are the ones who booked YOU a job) Also, modeling schools in general are complete nonsense.

Whatever barbizon is going to teach you; An agent can teachyou in 10 minutes. I have been modeling for 3 years and I've been in a few magazines. Trust me. You don't need any school to teach you how to be.

Modeling is about you and how you present yourself through a photo.

Each photo has a story and that story is you. They cant teach you to be yourself.

View more comments (46)
ID

The biggest rip off in the state

Barbizon sell big dreams to kids. The vast majority of kids that go thru there go home hurt, less self confidence because they weren't selected, angry, and broke.

We have spent over $14000.00 on their trips, pix, classes, etc., and when we asked them to tell us EXACTLY what they were doing for us, they said "the economy is bad right now and nothing is happening" If your kid needs self confidence, pay a counselor. Barbizon is definately not the place to start your kids on their way to success in anything.

Especially self confidence. Im extremely disappointed

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:

:) 8) I keep hearing ALL this STUFF about barbizon. "OH its a scam" and "You'll waste your money if you do this." And I was bummed out cuz im in their classes now and im 5'9 so I thought it was my chance to make it.

But I come out most of the people slamming barbizon werent in it and the rest didnt make it cause they werent good enough. I think if you got the talent, barbizon can really help you break into the industry.

But you have to do some work too. And let me tell you EVERY industry have SOME type of scam thats the way this world works

Check out the BBB listing. we found out Barbizon of Charlotte, NC , aka, Barbizon Academy is NOT with the BBB ! Be aware!

Call Baebizon international and get your refu d

Yea at grad they said I had a huge audition and it's for Discovery Cruise, doesn't include airfare and everyone is picked if u have the $. Omg quit asking my parents for money! SCAM :(

Yeah BArbizon is a great place to go if you have lots of money. We spent over 9000.00 on a trip to NY.

because Barbizon said there would be "TONS" of directors and agents there. What a joke. They wanted me to go to Charlotte for an "interview" When I got there, it was an all out sales pitch for me to pay $1500.00 to go on a 2 hour cruise and meet "TONS of DIRECTORS and AGENTS" Getting to the location would be at my expense also. WOW.

I asked how many of these BEAUTIFUL girls would be selected by these directors and agents and I was told that there was no way to know but usually everybody got a call back. SOUNDED like the NY sales pitch so I asked this question---if all these girls are going to get a call back and Barbizon is going to make money on all "their" tallent, then why were all these girls required to pay the $1500.00 to "GET NOTICED" MAN, THIS PET ROCK THING IS REALLY STARTING TO MAKE SENSE. Needless to say, I didnt go and neither did a lot of the other girls. I, like other folks apparantly, cant even get Barbizon to call me back.

WHATS UP WITH THAT??????? Face it,,,,,Barbizon dont do anything for you that you cant do for yourself. They just charge you LOTS of money to make you convince yourself that YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES.....Good Luck With That. If you really have what it takes, they should be paying you.

Do ya think Angelina Jolee or Brad Pitt pays people to let them work ?????

THINK ABOUT IT. Tell them you dont have any money but you cant wait to start their class=see what happens.

Barbizon Charlotte , Sarah ran out credit card without us signing papers. I called all my Friends that went to the interview and she said the same thing to all of us.

We all made it.

My advise call your friends, compare notes, and my mom found out they really need money to keep business going and not with schools anymore legit. :(

The one i go to only asked for 1,600. where are you geting 14,000 from?

And they dont promise you fame and riches. they even tell you how hard it is in this industry, and how its verry unlikely that you will be a supermodel. and steve is right, the people makeing complaints also say they didnt go thru it. I graguate next month, and this class has done nothing but help me with my acting skills and makeup and runway modeling, plus, ive made lotts of new friends in my class.

i do admit that they claim you make it with them choosing a few out of a hundred, but more and more keep coming, and thats really wierd, but then again concider that they constantly have "contracts" and classes ending-thus need more people.

My point is all they claim is to be a class. nothing mroe.

#209149

well I think barbizon is good this is my second week now I hope I get a job and put me on some adds.I want this really bad.I wonder do u get signed by agents after u graduate.

Since, I didnt live close to the area I couldnt attened the classes with a class full of 10 or 12 people. But, they told me they really wanted me and had faith and set up a seperate set up with me. Instead of going to them once a week for 6 months or what not for a couple hours these classes were with just me, and other classes were going on with groups of people it was suprised they were willing to set something up with just me, it was awesome. I ended up going once a month and was there for 8 hours a day.

Barbara-

if you really dont want to pay, send in pictures and resumes to the diffrent agency's in atlanta. try and set up interviews.

if they like you, they might sign you, which should be free.

there are tons of free work everywhere. good luck- :zzz

View more comments (20)

Barbizon Modeling Agencey Atlanta, GA

Barbizon Modeling Agencey is a rip off. Please do use this agency.

It is a waste of money, time, and engery. This company is fake. They are racial towards the selection of girls they choose and pick. The classes they offer do not help the girls grow at all, the make-up products they use are cheap and sleazy.

Its a waste of time.

If they pick you child in the Atlanta area please do not waste your money have your child to take professional acting classes, and make up classes. Very anry and pissed parent who will never use.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We are sorry you did not feel your experience with our company was a good experience. We can assure you we are a diverse company and do not discriminate based on race. We are a modeling and acting company however and are selective of the people that are chosen to attend our program. Just like anyone working in this industry, we must meet market demand.

Barbizon is a GREAT SCHOOL!! They taught my daughter how to present herself well in front of a crowd.

She has made long lasting friends and awesome teachers.

She has confidence and EXCELLENT GRADES in school. She is will now be going to LA in a few weeks for a competition that will give her more opportunities to excell in the acting and modeling industry.......now she and I had to do the hard work and effort, but I will say that it is Barbizon that has helped us the most!

i just finished classes at Barbizon and it taught me ALOT. They gave me the tools i need to be a successful model and now i am!

This is not a scam! If your child wants to be a model or actor and is serious about getting in the industry it will do wonders in getting them training for their career! If your child is selected... TAKE THE OPPORTUNITY!

It really is the best thing your child could do! :grin

Lemme tell you RIGHT now they are NOT racist. They picked me and im black.

The classes im in now about half my class is black.

:roll As for them being a scam hey dont garantee anything. If you dont work at it you wont get jobs DUH!!!!

#190298

I agree there are no guarantees just like football fees and etc there is no guarantee that they will make the NFL.

I took my 16-year-old daughter to the Barbizon SCHOOL presentation yesterday.(Why do others here describe it as a 'casting call?') We had a great time and LISTENED to what they were actually offering. First, they are a school and not a talent agency. They promised nothing as far as jobs, only the possibilities of what can be accomplished with some training, a great attitude and a lot of perseverance and hard work with some luck thrown in.

Come on folks, be realistic. If your daughter is accepted into a college she's applied to, do they promise her a job in her field? No!

And if you think realistically for a moment about how many Barbizon schools are in this country and how many graduates they have each year, what are the chances that your child is going to 'make it big'? For those parents who think a $2,000 investment will net their child riches, perhaps those parents should go buy lottery tickets instead.

For those parents who are wise enough to see it as a tool, a modeling school, an opportunity for their child to practice commitment, a learning experience to help their child with confidence and self esteem, then those parents should make that investment.

Getting what you want in life is hard work. If it wasn't, no one would appreciate it when they got it anyway. True happiness comes from working hard at something you love.

If I had $2000 I'd spend it at the Atlanta Barbizon School. I think its worth it.

I understand that agencies should never ask for money upfront b/c they get 10-20% of your pay, but Barbizon is NOT an agency. It is a SCHOOL and it does cost money because they offer classes.

Modeling schools do not guarantee any work because they "train" you for when you are looking for an agency to find jobs. So do not complain about being scammed because you are mistaken.

I am a current Barbizon Georgia student. I personally love it.

I love the atmosphere, my teacher, and my classmates. I was told before I ever started that making it big was up to me but they would give me the proper training. I am currently obtaining that training. Even if I do not become a hit movie star or walk the runways of Milan, my 2000 dollars was not wasted.

I have learned so much and I am not even half way through with the process. You can't put a price on happines.

We are waiting for the "call" today. If my daughter makes the cut, does this mean that she will still have to pay the 2000.

for the classes. I was led to believe that the classes were for the people that didn't make the cut.

I was told that if you make the cut, then they would go to work in finding you modeling work and you would not have to pay for anything. Is this not true??

Whether you are looking for a modeling agency, a regular school, or helping your child advance in today's world, you have to look at the cost vs. the results, or in business terms, your ROI- return on investment.

Sure, schools are expensive, especially the ones that have excellent classes and have contacts in the industry when you graduate. Lots of people are complaining here that never seemed to start or complete the classes, so it's unfair to complain because you are an outsider who has never experienced the school's results. Even if you DO go through and graduate, what do you expect? That everyone will be beating down your door with modeling contracts worth millions of dollars?

NO! You have to start at the bottom like everyone else, and work at this job 24 hours a day every day. That's the secret to success no matter what you do. Too may parents think the road to fame and fortune just happens- it doesn't.

Brook Shields was a child actress, and if you read everything her mother wrote about her auditions and how much time it took to get her noticed, you will begin to understand how hard it is to get a break. But IF you do, then you can look back an say that EVERY school, every class, every step you took was well worth it. I have been running a music program for teens for the past year here in Chicago, and you would not believe how hard it is to get the teens to get up and get moving, and even worse, get the parents to get involved. Too many parents think that things happen all by thenselves.

You have to have a plan, and execute it, whether you are in modeling or any other profession. Work at this modeling/acting/performing and you WILL be successful.

At the least your child will learn how to handle themselves and be ready for life in the real world. Barbizon is not just a modeling agency- they are life coaches who teach poise, style, and grace- things that are sorely missing in today's teens.

Rudy you couldn't have put it any better way! So many people are looking for the easy way and that way doesn't exist!

If I pay for the school and she improves in school and as a person than it was money well spent. I am so glad there is a school like this!

View more comments (10)

Mistreatment of my 16 year old daughter

I had 2 daughters graduate from the Barbizon School conducted in Hamburg, NY. I explained to my daughters to treat it as a finishing school and not to expect to land a "modeling contract".

My older daughter was called by Barbizon to work at the mall to try to get "new" young girls to "sign up". She was paid $10/hr. She did a great job because she was called back, again for this weekend. She declined as she makes more money elsewhere.

However, she said "my 16 year old sister, graduated from Barbizon, could work it". They were offering $8/hr and was told she would make $168 for 21 hrs of work. I called Vanessa to ask why the salary change from $10 to $8 and was told they wanted to bring in more girls. I agreed and sent my daughter off to work on Friday.

She did a great job as told by manager Penny. Penny, however, told the girls they would not be paid for their 15 minute breaks AND sent them home a 1/2 hour early and was told after they would not get paid. She released them early because "she made her numbers because of the good job the girls did".I called on Saturday and when I insisted why the agreement was changing, Erica said she was pulling my daughter off the call list because of me.With that threat from Erica, I said "perhaps I should tell your potential customers how she was punishing my daughter because she did not like my tone". When my daughter called Erica, listened to Erica and asked if she could explain her side of the story, Erica said "you are just like your mother" and hung up on my 16 year old.She said she wanted a sincere apology from me.I have found if you Question their authority, they take it out on your kids.My 16 year old is appalled at how unprofessional she was treated when Erica Hung Up on her.

Penny had even told my daughter on Friday she was glad she was coming back on Saturday because she said what a good job she did.Penny sent her home when my daughter arrived on Saturday because Erica told Penny not to let her work.My daughter was dumbfounded when she knew she had not only done her job on Friday but was told what a great job she had done only to be told to Go Home on Saturday because her mom made Erica mad. It seems us mom's/dad's paid for our kids Barbizon schooling and have the right to ask if the agreement changes that was originally explained especially when our kids are minors. If my daughter had done a Bad job (which I know she would never do when working for anyone) it may be understandable being cut, but because I ruffled Erica's feathers, she took it out on my daughter.

Her comments to me are somewhat irrelevant BUT mistreating a 16 year old, who did her job is unreasonable. My biggest complaint is misleading our minor children, and when we step in as parents to ask what is going on, for them to retaliate If Erica is considered a good representative of Baribizon, we are all in trouble.

Barbizon Modeling School Reply:
We are sorry to hear of your daughters experience. We have addressed the situation internally. Thank you for your feedback.

oh great I'm suppose to have an interview on Saturday:/ not sure if I wanna go now :sigh

Barbizon Midwest is always happy to resolve any issues within our own company. 847-241-****.

@Wow...you obviously don't have children. Its the nosy, bossy, know-it-all moms who have safe, heathly, well-educated and law-abiding children. Moms who don't step in for the well-being of their daughters end up with the Lindsey Lohans of the world.